Living in student halls in Buxton

Living in Halls as a first year student

Buxton, the UK’s leading spa town, is a place I can proudly call my home away from home. Having only lived here for a short time, I’ve been actively involved in many activities and have a good basis of perspective as a first year undertaking BA (Hons) Events Management. Buxton is a quaint town, with lots of historical buildings, background and numerous hills!

Locality

Buxton accommodates one halls of residents, High Peak Halls. It is in a great location situated across the road from the high street and built just behind the Railway pub. There’s a Wetherspoons about a five minute walk away, perfect for you avid foodies on a budget! (Look out for the student offer booklets – so many glorious gins).

For those who are keen to sign up to a gym, I’d recommend New Bodies. £20 monthly for a 12 month membership; Fully inclusive of equipment and classes. If you fancy having a coffee and a chat with a friend or to cram in those last few paragraphs of your assignment, I’d suggest Café Nero, Coda Café or Costa. Or if you need to speak to a librarian, during the month running up to assignment due dates, the library is open from 8:30am until 10pm. I am aiming to take a visit to the Derby campus’ library in the coming weeks as we have full access of facilities at all three campuses.

As for the walk to and from the Devonshire Dome, it is on estimate ten minutes. Nothing strenuous, especially on those days recovering from a night out. Speaking of nights out, Buxton accommodates one club ‘Level 2’ with several bars students tend to gravitate towards; Amp and Monk cocktail bar.

Amenities in Halls

The University spent over one million on refurbishing a host of kitchens at High Peak Halls this past summer. Since being the first in my flat to move in, I had opportunity of choosing the best cupboards. Thanks to the Residential Ambassador’s advice, they suggested the end units. You don’t want to wait for your flatmates to finish cooking their full English before you can reach for your shreddies before lectures!

The benefits of living in Halls

Overall, living in halls is a fantastic way to mingle with those starting university. There’s nothing to fret over as everyone is going through the same transition. The student union provides a host of support, whether you find yourself struggling academically or personally. In this coming of age where we are more accepting of difference, there is absolutely no harm in seeking out people to have a one on one chat. It only takes one step to ask for help and your whole university outlook can change for the better.

I won’t say it is a bed of roses. Moving out, learning at a higher medium, surrounded by strangers and perhaps employment on the side. It’s a lot to balance. But it is worth the effort, particularly if it is a subject matter you have a passion or curiosity for.

Personally, I have a fondness for Buxton as the student cohort is a lot smaller and so the ability to develop stronger relations with lecturers and peers is more meaningful. Not to mention the campus is specialised as the ‘Centre of Contemporary Hospitality and Tourism’ – that of which includes leisure and food and beverage professions.

I’ve found it very beneficial to link up with others on different courses (more than likely start with your flatmates), allowing you to collaborate and discuss study material which could in affect be useful for your assignments and out of general interest.

I see university as an institution for being free to make mistakes and grow before you head off out into the world of work. The practical element that the University of Derby supplies you with is by far a great asset to carry through into your adult life. I see the opportunity of studying at higher education as an enormous privilege, and with that, advise you to use it to your advantage.

My advice

Make sure to plan your study time and have fun in-between. It’ll keep you motivated and in a good place when it comes to assignments deadlines.

Also, be sure to go into higher education for your own benefit, not for others satisfaction or because you believe your worth is based on what qualifications you attain.

Join the conversation